How to create a mapping in MIS Sync
Some MIS (Management information systems) do not currently integrate with the ParentPay system. As a result, a manual upload may be required.
A mapping is created to match the headings in the exported data file to the headings used in ParentPay.
Before a mapping can be created, MIS Sync must have been downloaded from the ParentPay support site, and installed on the computer being used. Also, a pupil data file must have been exported from the MIS before a mapping can be created. You may find it useful to review the guidance How to install MIS Sync and Preparing a pupil data file for manual upload for guidance on how to complete this.
A mapping should only need to be created once, but if the headings in the data export file change, it may be necessary to create a new mapping.
Creating a mapping
- Open MIS Sync and log in as outlined in How to install MIS Sync, ensuring the drop-down menu at the bottom of the window is set to Other
- Navigate to Tools > Create a mapping
- Select the icon with the three dots to browse for the most recently created pupil data export file
- Ensure the file type is set to CSV
- Set the Header on line 1
- Enter a name for the mapping, such as ParentPay upload
- Set the Separator as Comma
- Select OK
- A new window will open containing lists of ParentPay Fields and File Fields
The CSV file must not be open on the computer during the previous steps, as it will prevent MIS Sync from being able to access the file fields.
- Match the headings from the file fields column with the headings from the ParentPay fields column, and then select Map
Some headings require additional actions to be taken before selecting Map. Please read the additional steps below before mapping the headings
- Some schools may find that the admission numbers/roll numbers/pupil IDs need to be padded with leading zeros to ensure they match the IDs on the cashless till system. This can be done by matching the heading in the two field columns, selecting the Minimum field size, and then selecting Map
- MIS Sync needs to be told what the pupil data file uses to indicate male and female in the gender fields. Match the headings in the ParentPay Fields and File Fields, and enter the correct flags for Male and Female on the right side of the window. Select Map
- MIS Sync also needs to be told what the pupil data file uses to indicate whether a pupil is entitled to Free School Meals. Match the headings in the ParentPay Fields and File Fields, and enter the correct flags on the right side of the window. Select Map
- The remaining fields can then be mapped. Whilst most fields are self-explanatory, the ParentPay field group_code refers to year group.
If any of the headings are incorrectly mapped during this process, they can be selected from the Mapped fields list at the bottom of the window, and deleted by selecting the cross icon. The deleted fields will then be added to the bottom of the fields columns.
NOTE: ParentPay no longer uploads Ethnicity or Religion to the system, in line with GDPR.
- Once all the headings that can be mapped have been, select Save.
NOTE: It is likely that there will be some fields in the ParentPay fields column left over after all the file fields have been mapped. There may also be some file fields remaining if they contain data that cannot be imported into ParentPay.
- To use the newly created mapping, MIS Sync will need to be closed and relaunched
The mapping cannot be viewed or edited after it has been saved. If the mapping is set up incorrectly, or contains a mistake, the mapping will need to be deleted and created again.