Your import settings determine the contacts and data that are imported from SIMS.
It is not possible to run an import from SIMS using the web version of Schoolcomms.
To run an import in Schoolcomms you will need to be logged into the desktop version of Schoolcomms via the Schoolcomms desktop icon or if you have hosted SIMS you will access Schoolcomms via the Focus menus in SIMS:
To run the import:
- Click on Management
- Click on Import management
- Click on Run import (you may have to input your SIMS credentials)
To review your Schoolcomms Import Settings go to Management > Import Management > Edit settings.
- If it is the first time you have logged in, before you can run the import, a window will appear asking you to choose your import settings.
- Your import settings determine the contacts and information that are imported from
- When entering contact details into SIMS, please note that section 4, Telephones and Email Addresses, is for the student’s contact information. Section 5 Family and Home is for parent’s contact details.
- To change your settings at a later date, go to Management > Import Management > Edit settings
- Select the pre admissions tick box if you wish to send messages to this group
- Choose whether you wish to import All groups or just Active groups (faster)
- Select to import contact details from SIMS and whose contact details you wish to import. By default, the import is set to include Priority 1 parents and all are flagged as prime. If you wish to include other priorities and/or parental responsibility and set another choice for prime/non-prime, click on Change.
- Select whether you wish to import email address and/or mobile numbers.
- Tick the Send a text/ email to each new or changed number/address if you do wish to notify each new contact. We advise that the ‘Send a Text message to each new or changed number?’ option is left unticked as this will send a text to each new or changed contact you import and this will use a large amount of text credits.
- opt out any children whose parents don’t want Schoolcomms to have any access to their data using the Manage Exceptions sections.
- Once you are happy with your chosen settings to import members, groups and contact details into Schoolcomms from SIMS you will need to run an import. This data needs to be refreshed regularly to ensure it is up to date.
- Each day when you first log into Schoolcomms, the import wizard will open automatically
- Select Run to run the import
- If you choose to run the import you will be asked to enter your SIMS login credentials
- Select Remember my SIMS credentials to avoid entering them each time
- Go to the Management screen and select Run Import to refresh your data manually at another time
- The import will be confirmed as successful when it has completed
This data needs to be refreshed regularly to ensure it is up to date, so we advise you run an import every morning when you log in to Schoolcomms.