You can take a payment from a debit or credit card for a specific account holder either in person, or over the telephone. These manual card payments are known as MOTO (Mail Order Telephone Order) payments.
MOTO payments pose an increased data security risk as card details are handled directly by school staff. This means that your school is subject to the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (“PCI DSS”).
We constantly monitor the security of the data we process to ensure our continued adherence to the relevant industry standards. If you wish to take MOTO payments, you will need to certify that you have put the necessary measures in place to manage them safely, therefore you are required to provide us with evidence of your compliance with the PCI DSS standard.
You can evidence this by completing a PCI DSS self-assessment questionnaire (“SAQ”) and sending the completed SAQ to us, along with a letter signed by both the School Head and Governors confirming that they understand and accept the risks associated with MOTO payments.
If you are part of a Local Authority Project and settle funds to a Local Authority account we would recommend you check with the Local Authority Finance Department to ensure you are permitted to take MOTO payments before proceeding.
How to process a manual card payment
- Go to Finance > Manual payments
- If you know the name of the pupil you want to make payment for type the surname in the Name box. Alternatively, select their year group using the drop down menu alongside Choose group 2 and click Search.
- Select the pupil and click on Make payment
- Place a tick in the box alongside each payment item that the payer wishes to make payment for, enter the amount and a note if required. Click Continue
- Select the option to Pay by credit or debit card (you can also use this facility to record individual cash or cheque payments should you wish to) and click Continue
- Enter the details from the debit or credit card and to click Continue to review and confirm payment
- Enter an email address you want the payment receipt to be sent to (you can type in the payers email, or use the school email or print off the receipt for the payer).
- Click Continue to review and confirm payment then click Confirm your payment.
The payment will be processed and you will receive confirmation that the payment has gone through successfully.
You are provided with the option to print the page for your records should you want to.